Tuesday, March 6, 2012

WONDER

“Doctors have come from distant cities
Just to see me
Stand over my bed
Disbelieving what they're seeing

They say I must be one of the wonders
Of god's own creation…”

It has been one hell of a couple weeks. On Tuesday February 21st I decided that it would be in my best interest to call the doctor and let him know that I had been having some breathing issues the night before. He started me right up on a dose of antibiotics and a steroid and told me to get an x-ray on Wednesday to make sure there was no sign of pneumonia.


Of course when I go get this x-ray on Wednesday I feel better but go anyway... In a matter of hours my lung doctor is telling his office to call me and have me call his cell phone... So I did... Turns out I have air in the empty chest cavity where my lung use to be (there is suppose to be fluid here). The lung that is not there has been nick named the phantom lung because even though it is gone it is still causing problems.

It was decided by Dr. Daud (lung doc) and Dr. Connors (one of my surgeons) that I needed to have a test called a bronchoscopy (aka bronc) This would allow then to pass thru my trachea to allow them to look at my right lung and stump (the piece that joins the airway when you have two lungs).So on Thursday the 23rd I got up at the crack of dawn to go have this test.... (I thought I would get to come home after).

When looking at my stump they found that there are little holes which explain why I have air in the chest cavity but the other question is where is the fluid.... My right lung looks good and is working great so all of this leaves us all puzzled. Where did the fluid go and why is this happening 13 months after the lung was removed?  So I was admitted to Missouri Baptist till Dr. Connors could figure out what to do... and let me tell you that took a lot of doctors from all over. They couldn’t seem to shake the fact that I was so healthy with no sign of infection and no symptoms except for that one night... I am use to puzzling the docs I just need them to remember that I am human and have feelings and needs and am NOT their science experiment.


Friday I was made NPO (no food or drink by mouth) the only problem with this was I didn't know why I was NPO until Dr. Connors came by at 3:30pm to tell me he was taking me to the operating room... WHAT? WHY? Turns out it was nothing he just wanted to go scope my chest (three little holes) that are actually driving me crazy. The reason for this was so that he could try and see the stump from this angle and check for infection. The biggest worry this whole time was infection because the air we breathe is not clean and if it is leaking into my chest cavity then it could damage other parts of me. Anyway there was no sign of infection and he couldn’t even see the stump do to scar tissue growth (this is a good thing). So my only issue was if I was ok with no infection why did he send me to the CVR (intensive care unit)? The answer.... he was just playing on the cautious side.


So Saturday I was back to the step down unit and this is where I sat Sunday, Monday and then finally on Tuesday night we had a plan. Wednesday I would head back to the operating room and get another bronc this time Dr. Connors was going to take a jell/glue substance to plug the tiny holes. He also "roughed" up the area around the staples that were already there trying to give the tissue a reason to have scar tissue grow.

The procedure went well and that night when he came by to see how I was doing I kicked my parents out of my room to ask him a question... and I love how this question caught him off guard. "Dr. Connors, can I get a tattoo.... you know while my INR is at a safe level and I am on all these antibiotics?... you see I've never really been a rebel and I just want this one thing that means the world to me." "Of course you can Em, that is fine.... can I ask what you are going to get?"

So Thursday night after I had been discharged me and three of my friends headed out to the Delmar Loop so that I could get inked. I love it and am so very happy with the way it turned out!


I also had the Gala this weekend! I love seeing all my doctors outside of the hospital. It's a great time and a wonderful way to get to know them and their families.... see that they are human too!! I think the best part was seeing my surgeon from Children’s Dr. Huddleston he is an amazing man and has done so much for me and taught me a world of things without even trying! I love him!

I did cough up some of the "plug" but I am not having any problems so I will go Wednesday to get another x-ray and get my stitches out and then from there Dr. Daud and Dr. Connors will decide when I need to come back and have another bronc.

Today was back to the grind of life and I love it! All though I not out of the woods on this matter this is so minor compared to everything else I have been though these past can you believe it almost 2 years!  Thanks for all the prayers and love and sweet comments know that you all are always on my mind and in my heart!


Until Next Time Love Me,

Em

“O, I believe
Fate smiled and destiny
Laughed as she came to my cradle
Know this child will be able
Laughed as my body she lifted
Know this child will be gifted
With love, with patience and with faith
She'll make her way

People see me
I'm a challenge to your balance
I'm over your heads
How I confound you and astound you
To know I must be one of the wonders
Of god's own creation
And as far as you can see you can offer me
No explanation…”

3 comments:

  1. Very very happy for you in beginning this blog. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times, Emily, when a person feels as if he cannot go on. At those times I think about the obstacles that you have faced, and the courage you have shown. Your strength makes me stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way you have with words telling your story Emily. I am so proud of you for creating the blog - what a great idea. You are a courageous and talented young woman and I feel blessed to know you.

    Terry Passanante

    ReplyDelete