Saturday, October 27, 2012

2 months can seem like forever....

Some of you may wonder what so many of my status updates, comments and secrets were all about these past two months. Well now that all is said and done I am ready to share what I have been up to… bare with me as I take you on this journey.  
On August 29, 2012 I entered McCallum Place for Eating Disorders. Now I do not have an eating disorder but because of all my surgeries in the past 2 years and being nauseated all the time I was down to about 80 pounds. This is a very dangerous weight and I was most defiantly malnourished.
So on August 29, I started a very intense treatment. I would be at McCallum Place seven days a week for ten hours straight. It was so very hard to be in this place that was so different but, at the same time I learned so much not only about myself but the girls that I spent two months of my life with.
Every day I would arrive in Webster at 9:30 I would start my day with a set of vitals and getting weighed. At about 10:00 we would have morning snack, then “homeroom” group for an hour and then another group till 12:30 when we would sit for lunch. After lunch we would “post” (go around and talk about the meal and how we felt… physically and emotionally). Then it was group time until afternoon snack which took place around 3:00. Then another round of groups, or napping, or even just journaling. Dinner would be at 6:15 with post following and then at 7:30 it was time to go home.
During the week days we would also meet with a therapist three times, a medical doctor once a week, a dietitian two times a week and a psychiatrist or resident two times a week. They would pull us from groups if it was our turn to meet.
Before my first weekend there would come and go I changed from eating 75% to 100% and stayed on that amount the whole time I was there. By weekend number two I had add-on’s (this would be some other food to get even more calories.) That put me up to 4400c calories a day and let me tell you my stomach and body did not always like it.
I cannot lie there were days that I thought I wasn’t going to be able to do it; even times when I wanted to give up and just do it all at home. I had days of nausea and I even had to go to the hospital for my asthma at one point. About a month in I felt so sick and my weight wasn’t moving and I thought I would have to have a feeding tube “dropped” I was able to get out of that by staying positive and just working as hard as I could at eating and breathing and realizing that it was okay to have help and I was not a failure.
With all the groups and working with my care team I learned a lot about myself. The biggest thing was allowing myself to have other feelings. I didn’t have to be happy or even strong all the time. It was okay to lean on others and need them to help me get through hard times.
I have been “strong” for as long as I can remember and it still is hard at times to admit that I am scared, worried or even that I feel alone. All these knew feelings are very real and are taking some time to describe and label but just like everything else I have done I am doing this. I know how to listen to my body now it is time to listen to my emotions as well. I also learned that I deserve things that I otherwise thought that I didn’t.
I met some wonderful girls and have made some really great friends! We all have each other’s back! It’s pretty cool to have a cheering team whenever you need them. I would never change my path for it has taught me a great deal and has helped shape me into the woman I am.
When I entered McCallum Place on August 29, 2012 I weighed 80lbs
When I was discharged on October 24, 2012 I weighed 108lbs.
I am so proud of myself, I feel better, I am able to work out again and for the most part I have little to know nausea. Can’t lie this new role of “living” is a little hard to get into but I sure enjoy it a lot more then feeling and being sick as much as I was.
I want to thank my family and friends for all their love and support. Thank you for all the prayers and kind words. Truth is you can do anything you set your mind to doing… I’m living proof!
Love and prayer until next time,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment